Friday, November 27, 2015

A Return

 "But still I swore to hide the pain when I turn back the pages..."


 Dear Mother, 

I hope things are well where you're at. I hope that you're having an amazing adventure somewhere, exploring that which we can only guess about. If you have a chance, drop in and check up on us from time to time? We all miss you.

I imagine you've seen all that's happened. Father is still missing, we're not entirely sure where he might be. Every time we think we might have an idea and try to investigate, he's already gone. He's still heartbroken over Emile, and we're not entirely sure he's learned about you, though we suspect he has. It almost seems common knowledge that the Marchands are magnets for trouble these days.

I hope I am making you proud in the running of the house. We hired a steward to help with the day to day, and he's already been a great help. We haven't had a late contract in weeks since he began, and I feel much less frazzled and able to relax.

Adriel has found love in a miqo'te, his name is Brom. He's extremely rough around the edges, and downright crude sometimes. Still, I can see the way that she looks at him, and the way he looks after her. She loves him quite a bit, and I feel confident he loves her, too. He stepped up to try and protect her, and to protect our family. He's loyal, and he's a good match for Addy.

Aulairet has been busy learning the bow, we haven't seen much of him. He seems to come and go at all hours of the night. Our cousins Ydaine and Taeh continue to be well, and are living in the house still. We also discovered we have a second cousin - through Uncle Nigel. Her name is Isielin, and she seems to be looking for him. She is staying with us now as well, so we have quite the house full. We may not be the closest family, but every last one of us knows we can count on the others when needed.

That only leaves me. I run the business, I do the things that I must, but something just seems to be missing. I have met a man who fills my days and nights with wonder and passions I never dreamed of, but I do not know how long this will last. I keep considering speaking with the conjurers again to try to learn from them. But there are never enough hours in the day. So I keep walking forward, waking up each morning and dealing with the hand I have been dealt.

I miss you, mom. Everyone has told me this entire time that "it gets easier", and I suppose to some extent they're right. I suppose part of me wishes I wouldn't miss you at all ever again, and then this hurt wouldn't be gripping my heart so tightly. But to never miss you again would be to forget you, and that I cannot allow.

I love you. Be well.

~Erisande

*   *   *   *  *

Erisande brushed the single tear from her eye as she read her own words upon the dusty page. She'd written them over 2 years ago, in some way hoping her mother would see them. Settling the letter back to her desk, she shook her head at the little puff of dust that erupted and added "clean desk" to the mental list of chores she had to do.

"So much has changed since I wrote that letter," she thought as she went over the words in her head.
 
"Adriel has found love in a miqo'te, his name is Brom." As far as Erisande knew, Adriel no longer spent her days and nights with the miqo'te. It killed her that she had not seen her sister in well over a year. Adriel had always been able to take care of herself, but Eris could not help but worry. It did not help that Adriel had once been the pawn of dark magic and now walked Eorzea as a miqo'te, herself.

"Aulairet has been busy learning the bow, we haven't seen much of him." Those words were still true. She had not the slightest clue what had become of her little brother, and hoped only that he was happy and well.

"I have met a man who fills my days and nights with wonder and passions I never dreamed of". Erisande had to chuckle at that, remembering the whirlwind romance with one Captain Tyriont Gaidal. Although she'd been foolish enough to fall in love with the rogue, he'd left her heart mostly unbruised.

"I keep considering speaking with the conjurers again to try to learn from them." That was no longer necessary, she thought with a smile as she glanced to her wand where it rested near the door. The time spent in Coerthas had been spent well - learning conjury, mastering both the elements and the power of a healing spell. It made her more than "just a merchant" in the world, and her still growing abilities gave her a keen sense of pride.

Glancing to the dusty bedspread, she shook her head and rolled up her sleeves.

"I suppose I might as well get to work."