Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A Piece of Your Heart

"The promises of perennial love yet sing here in my heart."

Five months ago.

*   *   *   *   *

Emerging from a tavern room, Erisande smoothed out her wrinkled clothing and tried to straighten her tousled hair. The early hour and the telltale blush of her cheeks left little mystery as to her activities the night before.

Essy rested against a nearby pillar, her arms folded and her brow marked with disapproval.

"You needn't hop into bed with every man who puts your knickers in a knot," she said chidingly. Erisande only rolled her eyes like a child and moved to walk past her teacher of conjury.

"At least let some of them in. That roegadyn looked at you with more than just lust," she said as she fell into place beside her errant pupil. Erisande winced at the idea, wrinkling her nose.

"Every time I let people in, I wear my heart on my sleeve and it gets smashed to pieces." Her face dropped and she shook her head. "Tyriont had the right idea - just enjoy the warmth of company for a time, and move on."

"Yet you let even him have a piece of your heart for a time," Essy reminded her smugly.

"I know, and for a time even that broke me," she responded.

"All that aside, you know what I said about distractions," Essy continued. "You have made much progress, but there is still much to learn." Erisande could only nod at that, and inhaled deeply. Just as she was starting to change her mindset from last night's activities to her training, Essy dragged her right back.

"When you're least expecting it, the right one will make it impossible to shut him out," Essy said with a knowing grin. "Mark my words, girl. Now, get your gloves. We have some work to do with stones today."