Tuesday, December 15, 2015

On The Shelf For Now

"How far I've come from my childhood home...
There will come a time when my troubles are gone."

Seven months ago.

*   *   *   *   *

Erisande walked side by side with Esselle through Camp Dragonhead. It was market day, and several vendors from the city states had come. There was a good variety of fresh produce, meats, and flowers available for the citizens of Coerthas.

Erisande felt somewhat out of place, not standing behind a merchant stall as she was accustomed to. Eselle noticed her unrest, and patted her arm comfortingly.

"Set that part of you aside for now, Erisande. Let others shoulder your burden."

"I know I should, but I can at least let House Marchand know to bring some linen, and..." Eris trailed off as her teacher only shook her head.

"If they are here, you will feel forced to step up and help. Let your family business thrive in other markets." As Erisande received another stern look, she could only nod meekly. "I need you here and without distraction if you are to become a conjurer."

Erisande nodded then in agreement. She wanted nothing more than to finally hone her abilities as a conjurer. Perhaps, with the power to heal, she would never again have to say goodbye to someone she loved.